Geauga Achieve aims to provide all students, regardless of disability, an educational program in a supportive environment that meets the individual needs of the student. Each class can accommodate eight students and is led by a licensed intervention specialist. Students receive instruction in the core academic areas with a modified curriculum based on the Ohio Department of Education Standards and Extended Standards. Our program empowers young individuals with multiple disabilities through a supportive and integrated educational environment designed to ensure each student thrives to their best ability both in school and beyond.
- Standards Based Curriculum
- Community Experiences
- Adaptive Living Skills
- Individualized Instruction
- Assistive Technology
- Structured Learning Environment
- Access to general education enviornments
- Team Instructional Approach
- Family Activities
- All students can learn
- Student outcomes are improved when structured teaching appraches are utilized
- Consistency in the pattern of service delivery exists across classroom settings
- Students are educated in a safe and healthy learning environment
- The classroom is effectively integrated into the general eduction program of the building
- Instruction is standards-based with literacy and communication focus
- Documentation and data collection requirements are completed with integrity
- Classroom staff operates using a Transdisciplinary Model
- Confidentiality of student information is maintained
- Parents, as partners in the educational process, are afforded opportunities to become involved in program activities
PREVOCATIONAL TRAINING SITES:
Huskie Hot Spot
Mrs. Swartzlander's classroom at Cardinal High School operates the Huskie Hot Spot coffee and cookie shop two afternoons per week. The remaining three afternoons are spent baking cookies and participating in other work related tasks. This prevocational training program allows qualified students to participate in school based work experiences aimed at teaching the necessary work skills, habits, and social skills for future employment. Students appropriate for this program are able to enroll for afternoon prevocational training only, or participate in the full day Geauga Achieve program which includes a standards based curriculum delivered through specialized instruction.
In October 2013, Geauga Achieve opened our second cookie and coffee shop which is located at West Geauga High School. Cafe Achieve replicates the goals of the Huskie Hot Spot, but is open for business M-F from 7:30-10:00 am in the cafeteria at West Geauga High School. Students appropriate for this program are able to enroll for afternoon prevocational training only, or participate in the full day Geauga Achieve program which includes a standards based curriculum delivered through specialized instruction.